Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Moms Bugging Out

Mom's are not allowed to be sick.  I believe this is in the handbook of rules and regulations I did not  receive after I had my children.  It is the most important rule: all moms must be in tip top health as to be able to care for all others in the family. 

I have followed this unwritten rule very closely.  Until this past weekend.  Mom.  Got.  Sick.

Was it the coleslaw at the Friday night fish-fry?  My children's germy little hands?  The one little amoeba that was on the shopping cart handle?  I will never know, but that little bug brought me down pretty hard.
I woke up in the wee early hours Saturday morning after dreaming someone kicked me in the stomach.  Only to realize once awake, that indeed, I had been kicked  in the stomach, Kung Fu style.  My intestines were in distress.  Now that is fun stuff at 2:30am.  That, and heartburn, with the taste of coleslaw on the side.

Without being too detailed, I never did get back to bed.  My intestines were extremely unhappy.  Just about the time I'd get back under the bed covers, they would insist I return to the bathroom.    This continued right up to Madeline's chirpy 6:30am "I'm awake momma!".  Being the Super-D-Mom I am, I dragged my lifeless, caped carcass, to her bedroom to greet her.

After saving me from having to make breakfast, Rick had to leave early for work.  Ugh.

Tired, Kung Fu intestines, and a little green around the edges, I forced myself into mom mode.  I did all the "must get dones" right past lunchtime, then I hit the big invisible wall.  It was time for Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked.  I tested Madeline, gave her a snack with a few extra carbs,  then curled up on the couch and zonked out.

I slept through the entire movie with a 3, and 6 year old, running loose.  Zero supervision.  When I opened my eyes, everything was just as I had left it.  "Toy bomb" testing grounds.  Madeline immediately came up to me, kissed my head and asked "did you sleep good momma?".  She was very happy I was awake.  A quick blood sugar test, a few more hugs and kisses, and she was off and playing.  I was back to being horizontal on the couch. 

I punched my time clock out once Rick got home from work, and slept the rest of the evening.

When I heard my chirpy little Madeline at 6:30am Sunday morning, I had much more spring in my step to greet her for the day.  As I walked in her room, she sat up on her bed, a big smile on her face, and said "are you feeling better today momma?".  Wow, wasn't expecting that.  I picked her up and gave her a great big hug and thanked her for being so concerned about me.  She gave me a great big hug back and said "well, remember that one time I got sick and you took care of me.....".

That's what makes me feel like a Super-D-Mom.




No comments:

Post a Comment