Wednesday, May 16, 2012

One Thing to Improve



One Thing to Improve - Wednesday 5/16
We probably all have one thing we could try to do better.  Why not make today the day we start working on it.  No judgments, no scolding, just sharing one small thing we can improve so the DOC can cheer us on!

 At 7:45pm my IPod rings a catchy little tune and reminds me to give Madeline her Lantus injection before she heads off to bed.  Upon hearing this catchy little tune, my two children get super excited and yell "yaaaahhhooooo!  Snack time!".  This has been our ritual for 11 months since diabetes diagnosis.

I have a love / hate relationship with this ritual.  I love, that if Madeline's blood sugars are low, she can have a fun snack and get back on track.  I hate, that if Madeline's blood sugars are high, she is waiting for a fun snack and I am wondering what to do.  Bedtime, snacks, and diabetes don't mix. 

If I could just enforce "bedtime snack only if low", I'd save myself a lot of worrying, night time checks, and stress filled moments waiting for the "beeeeep" of her glucose monitor to let me know the damage.  But every night, that catchy little tune starts, the girls get excited, and the ritual begins again.

I do manage to keep the snack carb count between 5-10, but if I could just think outside the box, I'd have better bedtime blood sugar control on Madeline for sure.

But what fun would that be?        

No comments:

Post a Comment